Out of many of the awesome blogging gigs I’ve been lucky enough to attend so far, I have to say that being invited to London Fashion Weekend by mega clothing company, Joules, has had the early part of 2016 off to a cracking start!
I was asked if I’d like to attend the ‘Hello Magazine’ fashion trends talk (the popular weekly mag has launched a monthly fashion glossy), to be held at the uber-cool Saatchi Gallery, and report back on behalf of Joules. How could I say no to that?! I’ve always loved, loved, loved fashion, although never been a slave to it, but I have to admit I was a little nervous at attending such a prestigious event. Would everyone be ridiculously trendy and see through my (limited) fashion credentials? Would I stick out like a sore thumb? Would my knowledge of fashion be put to shame by everyone around me? Turns out I needn’t have worried at all. Despite being held in a high-brow venue oozing with fashion talent, as well as fashion lovers, there were plenty of ‘ordinary’ looking people too (result!), and after grabbing a coffee and having a mooch around some of the stands and displays, I actually felt quite at home, genuinely enjoying all that was going on.
Which is half the battle when it comes to fashion I think, especially since I became a parent, enjoyment. I want to look great still, yet all of a sudden it becomes on a more practical level. I love heels and despite living in them in my teenage years *high five to wearing 5 inch crippling platform boots to school* I do feel quite restricted in them now, when my life is so busy and a high proportion of that is spent running around after small children.
Once I relaxed into my swanky surroundings, I queued up for the Hello Mag trends talk, and managed to grab myself a great front-row spot. The panel, consisting of Hello Fashion staff, then went on to talk about the trends for this SS16, whilst the audience took notes, and then opened up the floor for discussion. I found myself really getting into it, beavering away in my notepad, and also taking mental notes as to what I really liked myself, and what may or may not suit me. It was uplifting for someone who doesn’t get that much time anymore to do a proper clothes shop, it becomes much more of a rare treat, as opposed to the previously almost weekly trips to TopShop, Zara et al.
I was to report back to Joules on the SS16 trends, and then choose my pick of Joules’ latest collection in line with what’s currently cutting edge for fashion this spring- dream job!
Without further adieu, here is what is ‘in’ over the coming SS season…
- Full Fringe – As seen at D&G, fringing is definitely back. Wear on earings, bags, jeans- you name it, fringe it!
- Brights – All colours of the rainbow, my favourites shown being bright reds and tropical tones. Fendi showed lots of reds and bold blues, and if you’re not usually a ‘brights’ sort of person, then a pair of colour pop sunglasses could be your nod to the trend.
- Modern Mesh – Not for everyone, but definitely wearable if you keep it feminine. Wear with ‘sporty’ sandals for an accessible summer look.
- Snakeskin – Nearly every season has the animal print of the moment, and for SS16 it’s snakeskin. I actually loved a bold snakeskin boyfriend coat that they showed, but if this seems a little intimidating, then go for bags, sandals, or belts.
- Bold ruffles – a very ‘girly’, romantic look. Think big, balloon sleeves and channel your inner flamenco dancer.
- Monochrome – Never really went away, but now’s the time to drag out your best black and white combos.
- Graphic stripes – Big, bold, and certainly not for wallflowers, you can really stand out from the crowd here.
and not forgetting accessories trends for SS16…
- Supersize sunglasses Ala D&G.
- Crown jewels (oi oi!)- think beautifully ornate headpieces and headbands.
- White bags – Chic, clean (for a while anyway!) and fresh, a great and potentially inexpensive way to update your summer wardrobe.
- Metallics – Silver is most definitely back when it comes to jewelry, after gold had a brief renaissance.
- Glitter– Use sparingly! Glittery socks were a great example of how you can dip in casually to this trend.
- Big bows – Use them as a statement piece on your outfit. I’m thinking Margo Leadbetter circa 1974 ‘The Good Life’!
- HUGE earings – Take the lead from Kenzo and Pat Butcher and weigh those lobes down.
- Lace up shoes– still massive, a trend that’s not going anywhere any time soon.
- Scarf accents– inject colour to your outfit and wear tied on handbags, as a bracelet or around your ankle combined with a simple shoe.
- BIG chains – on yourself or on your bag. Mr T would be proud!
- Key chains – such as coloured pom poms attached to your bag. Supposed to be fun but the one trend I’m not sure I can bring myself as a 32 year old woman to embrace <grumpy>
So here are my picks from Joules’ SS16 collection, based on the trends showcased at London Fashion Weekend:
- ‘Ariela’ Jersey skirt
- Bright ‘Hepburn’ Chinos
- Bright yellow ‘Coast’ waterproof hooded jacket
- Pink Graphic Stripe ‘Brilliant Bamboo’ socks
- ‘Evelina’ Jumpsuit
- White ‘Loren’ Skinny jeans
- ‘Marie’ Jersey dress
- ‘Orna’ Foil-printed scarf
So which of these do you like the best? I am seriously hankering after the jumpsuit, that bright rain jacket and the bright ‘Hepburn’ chinos!
*Thanks so much to Joules for sending little old me to London Fashion Weekend, and for collaborating with The Spirited Puddle Jumper!
Yaay to full fringe and monochrome coming in. Love a full fringe, although a full fringe doesn’t really love me. I am so jealous that you were able to attend this amazing event, Looks fab and I love Joules clothes 🙂
Thanks Emma, I love those trends too, although I have to go easy on the fringing as I look like a cowgirl! I have a fringed bag so will be bringing that out I reckon 🙂
Wow, what a glamorous mission to be tasked with, fabulous. I also think the jumpsuit i so nice but I love that little stripy tunic too.
SO jealous I would have loved this too!!!!!! WOW what a fab day and amazing picks. I love everything they do at the moment and cannot stop spending in there!!! Great post xx
Thanks Jess, they do SO many nice items of clothing, I could go mad with their new collection! x
I am rarely jealous of things other bloggers get to do because I get so many lovely emails, but THIS???!!! I’m so green-eyed, Joules and LFW?! Oh my goodness, what fun!! Love your picks, too xx
Haha, I think this was quite a one-off, I must admit when I was walking into the building for LFW it felt VERY surreal! x
Love Love Love this post, lucky lady!
Thanks lovely, it was fab! x