Everyone is a sausage fan in our house, and yet again, we’re getting on board with cosy, autumnal, comfort food. We’re fortunate the kids also both like lentils (we eased them into eating them by pretending they were squashed peas!), and with all the veg included, this a pretty nutritious dinner.
You will need:
- 8, good quality pork sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery sticks, cut into small chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and halved lengthways, then cut into small chunks
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 500ml reduced-salt beef stock
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 400g green lentils in water, drained and rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6.
- Put the sausages in an ovenproof baking dish. Add the oil and turn the sausages to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes before adding all the vegetables and garlic. Return to the oven to cook for 30 minutes.
- Mix the hot stock with the mustard and pour over the sausages and vegetables along with the lentils, then stir everything together.
- Cover carefully with foil and cook for a further 20-25 minutes, taking the foil off for the final 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately! Great on its own or with crusty bread and butter!