Hello Monday! I am feeling particularly perky, as today is the first day in a month that everyone appears to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and ready and raring to go. I might even have a whole Monday where I can get a decent amount of work done and get back to my semi-abandoned blog! I’ve probably jinxed that now, and someone else will get sick, but for the moment, I’m running with it. This last month has been busy with lots of lovely things on, but at the same time we have had to contend with 2 ear infections, a chest infection, a nasty cold, flu, chicken pox x 3 and a sickness bug that poor F had that involved a middle of the night 45 minute clean up operation- never good when you don’t have your contact lenses in! I can honestly say that as a family we are barely ever ill, so this has knocked us for six. My Mum and Adam’s parents have been heroes and helped us so much this past month- we are so lucky to have them nearby.
Still, despite all this, we have managed to fit in some fun trips and activities, even if it’s been in dribs and drabs. Adam and Sasha had their bout of chicken pox at the same time (Ad never had it as a child, so he caught it now, aged 31!), so whilst we were lucky that they weren’t too poorly, they were obviously contagious for several days so hung out together at home whilst Freddie and I tried to carry on relatively normally. No more illness please!
Here are some things that have made me happy this past week:
- A great morning first thing this morning. Might sound silly, but it’s not often we have a morning where everyone has to be out of the house, and I’m not getting stressed and bellowing at someone to hurry up. Today I was up at 6am (Adam had already left for work), felt okay and not dog-tired for once, had a leisurely poached-eggs-on-toast breakfast, got everyone ready and left the house with time to spare. It makes a huge difference to my mood- I really must try and get up and my act together earlier more often. If I’m ‘done’ then it’s so much easier to focus on getting the small people and house ready!
- Christmas cream tea at The Ritz with my Mum last Tuesday. We’ve done this every year for the past 5 years and it’s a festive highlight for me! We drop the children off with Adam’s folks for the afternoon, and then have a pootle around Hamleys (and Libertys this year too), before having our tea at about 5.30. For some reason, sandwiches seem to taste better when they’re cut into fingers with the crusts off- so good! They have carol singers whilst you’re eating, and the scones are to die for. Definitely recommend as a Christmas treat!
- The festive displays outside Libertys (the department store). So beautiful, especially at this time of year and the smell is incredible!
- My new festive mug – as a tea-obsessive, you can never have too many mugs, especially if they are festive and involve deer.
- My belated birthday night away with Adam on Saturday night (we had to cancel before as I was ill on my actual birthday). He surprised me with a stay at the South Place Hotel in The City, and then cocktails and dinner at City Social that has THE most amazing views over London and a fantastic atmosphere. Much needed as we haven’t been out together just the two of us in a while- and we got to have a mini lie in too, huzzah!
- A pre-Christmas, Christmas dinner with my family yesterday. One of my brothers is off to Sweden for the big day (my SIL is Swedish) with her and my niece, so we all met up for a slap-up meal. Always lovely to see everyone together 🙂
- Cuddling up and watching Home Alone with the children. Not the most relaxing as I had to give a running commentary throughout (it never fails to amaze me how often a 2 and 3 year old can say “why”!) but was lovely all the same. The start of an annual tradition I hope, even if they are still a bit young this year.
- A fry up and unlimited tea and coffee for a fiver at soft play on Saturday morning. And it was actually QUIET there (a miracle) It’s the little things, right?!
- Buying the children’s stocking fillers. One of the best bits of the Christmas build up I think!
- Having a load of my friends over last Friday for food and drinks whilst Adam was on his work do. We discovered that Virgin TV has a Karaoke bit on it- queue some late night caterwauling to TLC ‘Waterfalls’ and trying to do the rap in it- over and over again!
- A beautiful, if chilly, Saturday afternoon down the football club. Freddie and Sasha run riot whilst we drink mugs of steaming tea and watch the footie. It’s then so nice to walk home and snuggle up in the warm afterwards, definitely blows the cobwebs away.
- Mince pies- I can’t get enough at this time of year!
- Christmas carols/songs- always give me a warm, fuzzy feeling!
This week I’m hoping to wrap up some work for Christmas, continue to send out Christmas orders for my little shop and start on some present wrapping. Oh, and attempt to make our Gingerbread house. We’ve never made one before so I’m not quite sure how it will turn out!
What have you loved this last week?
Loved reading this Becky! I need to write something similar because among the dark side of ill kids and messing around at bedtime, etc, we’ve had plenty of good stuff happening too. It’s just easy to forget because of feeling defeated by all the crap!
My office is by South Place and we had Xmas drinks there last year before our meal, I reneber thinking it looked awesome and I’d love to go back for a stay sans kids with hubby.
Really pleased you’re all on the mend. Love & hugs xxx
Cream tea at the Ritz sounds like a perfect Christmas tradition! Pleased you are all on the mend. x
They all sound like wonderful things to be happy about – especially a mooch around Liberty’s and cream tea at the Ritz – what a lovely Christmas tradition and definitely the perfect way to shake off a month of being poorly!
Oh it all sounds so lovely!! Especially the cream tea at The Ritz! I think we are coming to London in March – do you think I could talk Mr M into treating me??! 😉 I love these posts of yours Becks. I love that you are always so positive – it’s very inspiring! Xx
Oh B, it’s been a rotten month for you guys. I really hope that all the illness is over & done with & y’all can enjoy the rest of December now. I entered a comp today to win afternoon tea at the Ritz, ooh la lar! Hopefully see you before long xx