Morning! I thought I would write a Gratitude Express post, the first of a brand new year (albeit 2 weeks late!). I’m so excited about 2016, and all that it might bring. In an increasingly scary world, I figure it’s all about looking for the good that there is in life. I’m not saying it’s possible (or, frankly, normal) to be positive and happy all the time, but even when times are tough/manic/bad, I’m a big believer in there always being little rays of light. As it happens, I’ve had a pretty good first couple of weeks of January. I’m one of those weirdos that actually quite likes the fresh start that January brings, and being able to crack on with new projects and ideas!
Here are some things that have made me happy this past week…
- Sorting out my home office, and relishing having a great space to work in. I wrote about this earlier this week, and was so chuffed that others loved this room as much as I do. I knew it would be great to work in a dedicated space, but I didn’t realise how much. I feel so much more focused, and can actually switch off when I’ve finished work and left this room, something that was hard before when I was perched on the breakfast bar in the kitchen. Right, I’ll stop banging on about this now, but I couldn’t not mention it!
- On that note, getting a new job! Alongside blogging, I start as digital marketing manager for one of the companies I already do social media management for, and this will be for 2 days a week, probably increasing to 3 when S starts school in September. I’m SO happy, as it has all the perks of being both employed AND freelance. I get the security of a salaried role, but can work the hours that I want, when I want i.e. from home, as well as being able to have office company if I want. There’s a lot to get my teeth stuck in to, and I’ve a lot to learn about the industry the company is in, but I can’t wait for a challenge!
- Sasha sleeping through for 4 nights on the trot now. Which seems ridiculous for a 3 and a half year old to NOT be doing, but she’s a renowned bed-hopper i.e. coming into our bed at night (really uncomfortable), and sometimes we’re just too tired to notice/do anything about it. Whilst I’ll miss the morning snuggles, I will not miss the stiffness that I have from being squashed and having to sleep on one side all night. Praying this phase is at an end now!
- Eating one of the best breakfasts I’ve had in aaaages, at ‘Fee and Brown’ cafe in Beckenham- smashed avocado and feta on toast with chilli sauce, washed down with fresh juice and some of the best coffee around. Spot. On.
- Taking the children for bike rides on their new bikes. They love it, we love jogging/walking with them, and I feel ridiculously virtuous and healthy from all the family exercise we’re getting. Just need all this rain to bog off now, we have puddle suits but it’s still grim!
- The feeling you get using brand new stationery- the perfect organisational/working start to the new year! Currently loving some great finds from Paperchase, and also some Pheasant Plucker and Sons notecards.
- Swimming at the gym. I forgot how much I enjoy swimming, but it’s not something I usually do during the day. As ridiculous as it sounds, I find my hair takes too long to sort out afterwards, and therefore eats into my working day. So now I’ve been going once a week and swimming in the evening, and actually I find it the most relaxing way to get exercise, yet wind down AND I can wash my hair afterwards and leave it- bonus!
What’s made you happy lately?