After a fairly indulgent summer eating and drinking-wise, now is the time to reign it in a bit (in time for the Christmas binge, natch), and where I start to think about more carefully about what I’m putting in my body. I’ve said in other ‘foodie’ posts before that a lower-carb (not ‘no carb’ diet) makes me feel better overall- I certainly feel lighter and have more energy to take on what is always an inevitably busy day!
This quick and easy dinner is filling yet super-healthy. We had it after I went for a run last night and it only took about 15 minutes to do- perfect for when you don’t really want to be slaving over a hot stove all evening. The turkey is a great source of protein, is low in fat, and is a great source of vitamin B6, zinc and potassium. The courgette ribbons are a good alternative to pasta, and I promise you that after a while you won’t even miss the spaghetti (and I say that as a big pasta fan!). I now just save pasta for a weekend treat, or when eating out.
This recipe serves two, with 1-2 portions of the turkey bol leftover for freezing.
You will need:
- 500g pack of lean turkey mince
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- mixed herbs
- clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 large courgettes
- 100g feta to crumble
- Heat a little olive oil in a large skillet, then fry the onion for 3-4 minutes on a medium heat until soft.
- Add the turkey mince and stir with the onion until it begins to brown.
- Add the cans of chopped tomatoes, garlic and mixed herbs.
- Cook on a low heat for a further 10 minutes, giving the occasional stir.
- Whilst this is cooking, boil the kettle, and slice your courgettes in to ribbons.
- Blanche the courgettes in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Dish up courgettes and turkey bolognese together, before crumbling the feta on top.
- Serve immediately. If you’re a really hungry-type like Adam, some crusty bread and butter goes a treat with it!
This Curried Chicken with Mango Dressing from Tanya is also delicious and well worth trying!
Love corgette ribbons! …And I’ve still never tried turkey bolognese!!
Thanks for the inspiration
Pleasure! It was the first time we’ve tried turkey bol too, will definitely do it again as it’s so quick and healthy!
Oh yum! This is very much my kind of food. Looks fab lovely 🙂 #tastytuesdays
Thanks lady! x
Eeek you said the C word. I love the look of this it looks really tasty. Loving the courgettes
Thanks Alison! 🙂
Great minds back to low carbing huh, shame we don’t live close to one another! This looks amazing! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays
Def! Do you know when you’re next down in London? Are you going to Blog Fest? x
So true! I was thinking summer is here for me to shed some pounds but its getting harder to get in my jeans! This looks yummy! #TastyTuesdays
Thank you, def one to try!
I keep hearing about courgette replacing pasta but I can’t get my head round it – surely it doesn’t fill you up the same way? But this recipe is very convincing, so I might just have to give it a go…..
I find it really filling if I’ve got enough of it, and I was skeptical too at first! I guess it’s like anything to do with low(er) carbing- at first it feels a bit weird, but then you get used to feeling full without them. I still love pasta but keep it more as a weekend treat- I now feel bloated if I have the same amount that I used to!