Since the weather has turned I’ve had a hankering for all food cosy and warming. This Thai-inspired prawn and sweetcorn chowder has been one of my most successful (in my opinion) cow dairy-free adaptations, replacing the usual cow’s juice with coconut milk, and turning this into a rather tasty and exotic weekend dish, a bit special but still so easy to do. If I close my eyes I’m almost back at Railey Beach supping on a cocktail!
You will need:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp unsalted English butter (we use goat’s butter)
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 300g frozen sweetcorn
- 300ml Coconut Milk (I use the Alpro fresh coconut milk, but tinned is fine too)
- 100ml single cream (or soya cream)
- 180g pack raw peeled king prawns
- flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan. Add the onion, garlic, mustard and paprika and fry for about 5 mins, until softened.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and add the stock in batches, stirring after each addition, until smooth. Return to the heat and add the chopped potatoes.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 mins until the potatoes are tender. Add the sweetcorn and simmer for a further 5 mins.
- Pour in the milk and cream, then add the prawns. Heat for about 5 mins, without boiling, until the prawns are pink and cooked through.
- Stir through the parsley. Season to taste and serve.Tastes delicious with crusty bread and butter too!
Teaming up with Honest Mum’s ‘Tasty Tuesdays’
Love prawns but don’t have them often enough in soup, this looks super delicious, thanks for the inspiration:-) #TastyTuesdays
No problem! 🙂
Love this recipe! I always on a lookout for asian food! #tastytuesday
This looks gorgeous and perfect for this chilly weather! #TastyTuesdays
Thanks, it sure is a good ‘warmer’!
I love prawns, really like the idea of making a soup with them
They make a great change from the usual ingredients!
Love prawn and sweetcorn chowder, this looks so good and healthy too! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays
Thanks Vicki! 🙂 x