This past week has been a sad, and of course, shocking one. Like the majority of the world, I was utterly horrified at the awful terrorist attacks in Paris and Beruit. There really are no words for such acts of misguided evil, and as a result, anything that I had planned to write, just couldn’t flow properly from my fingertips to laptop. Everything seemed totally banal in comparison, and I guess still is, although I believe that everything has to try and carry on as normal in some way, otherwise these ‘people’ have won.
I think being a parent makes you feel slightly more vulnerable- I hate to admit it, but I’m now even more worried about heading into central London like I do so often, both with the children (what if something happens to them?) and without them (what if something happens to me and/or Adam?). Like I said above, we can’t let them win, but it does give you sobering food for thought. I have to say that these past few days, all I’ve wanted to do is hunker down and stay close to home, although my lurgy and the bad weather probably have something to do with this too!
I still refuse to believe the world isn’t still a wonderful place with many wonderful people in it, which is why I’m really trying to find the best in it right now.
With that in mind, here are some things that have made me happy this past week:
- Freddie actually jumping into the swimming pool without holding on to anyone, and just start swimming! This is a BIG development in our house this week, as for nearly a year now he’s been fine swimming well on his front and back with floats, but absolutely refusing to take his feet off the floor, or jump in unaided, whilst his peers have all been giving it a go for some time. Last week, after picking him up from school and prior to his lesson, he suddenly announced in the car “I might jump in on my own today”. I didn’t think too much of it, but when we got to the pool, and his teacher told them all to get in, he launched himself off the side on his own, and started swimming as if he’d been doing it for months! His teacher and I thought we were hallucinating! Very, very proud of our little chap, and we have clearly spawned a child who likes to do things when HE wants to do them, and not a moment sooner 🙂
- Baking a decent lemon drizzle cake for Sasha’s preschool bake sale in aid of Children in Need. This seems like a minor thing, but my last one had a sunken middle so I was happy this one was fine, and all the slices from it sold!
- Seeing friends for a natter- red wine and decent cheeseboard with two of my oldest girl mates on Saturday night, and coffee and lunch yesterday with the lovely Alison (who has now convinced me that I NEED to buy a new camera!).
- Sunday lunch as a family at our local pub. I love cooking, but roasts always seem to taste better when someone else is making them!
- Reading with Freddie- I love the progress he’s making and the fact that he’s starting to really ‘get it’. Hopefully he’ll develop a life-long love of it.
- A lazy, Sunday afternoon nap with Sasha snuggled up on top of me. That rarely happens now she’s older, but she just curled up on me and went to sleep, and it gave me a good excuse to have a snooze too- would have been rude to move her! 😉
- I’ve had a stinking cold, caught off child number 2, so I’m inherently thankful for Lemsip right now!
- And as always, extremely thankful for my little family, especially in light of all that’s gone on in the world these past few days. Making sure I give everyone an extra squeeze or 10 when I’m with them.
What’s made you happy this week?