Fresh off the back of the festive season, I thought I’d share my favourite, fail-safe recipe for Royal Icing for a Christmas Cake!
This is my go-to Royal icing formula for the past few years, although the actual Christmas cake I use is legendary and my Mum’s and about a million years old. You can’t go wrong with this icing, and it’s got that perfect balance of drying well yet without breaking your teeth (always good).
So, without further adieu, let’s get to the recipe…
You will need
- 3 Egg Whites
- 600g Icing Sugar
- 1 Tsp Glycerine
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
1. Whisk the egg whites by hand or in a mixer such as a Kitchen Aid until lightly whipped.
2. Add the icing sugar a few shakes at a time, whisking continuously until all has been added.
3. Add the glycerine and lemon juice.
4. Continue whisking together until the icing is thick and forming stiff peaks whilst also looking shiny and smooth.
5. Use a palette knife to spread the icing over the top of your Christmas cake. For a snowy, festive look, you can make little peaks with a teaspoon or fork.
6. Leave the cake and icing to firm up somewhere cool and dry for 24 hrs before cutting and eating.