This morning I hosted a little Christmas party for a small group of friends and their toddlers. We all usually exchange token gifts at this time of year, but it’s often hard to find something for little cost, that isn’t just plastic tat or a panic buy. Crafty bits and bobs are always well received, but this year I thought I would try something a little different… enter ‘homemade Reindeer food for Rudolph’! I was going to make some of this with my two before Christmas Eve anyway, to sprinkle outside the night before the big man arrives, and give that night a little bit of magic. I ended up killing two birds with one stone, and thought that these would make a nice, personal gift for each toddler.
To make homemade reindeer food you will need:
- Small, glass ‘Kilner’-style jar (mine was only £2.25 from a local hardware store!)
- Porridge oats
- Edible glitter (it MUST be edible if you sprinkle this outside, as real glitter can harm any birds that eat it)
- Label maker (I already had one, but these are about a tenner from stationery shops)
- Mix porridge oats in a large bowl with your edible glitter.
- Pop the mixture in jars.
- Then get creative with your labeling! I chose to write ‘Reindeer Food For Rudolph From X’ (insert child’s name).
- Stick labels onto the jar, and voila, you have your magic reindeer food!
I was chuffed that these were so well received today, and will definitely make some more for other friends next year. What’s also good is your recipient can keep their jar and reuse it.
Hope you’re having a great day and are (nearly) all prepared for Christmas!