Hey, so 4 out of 5 of us are totally better now (fingers crossed) and poor Arlo is slowly on the mend, although he scared the hell out of yesterday by developing a mystery rash and freezing cold hands and feet accompanied by blood-curdling screaming- cue trip to A&E to be checked over. Thankfully he’s fine, and seems a lot better today, but my god, am I sick of well, sick, cleaning up bodily fluids, staying home and sad, poorly children. You don’t get more glamorous than carrying a poo-sample in your handbag to work so you can drop it to Microbiology at your local hospital- hopefully something I won’t have to repeat for a long while!
This post has meant digging really, really deep for some gratitude this past week, as quite frankly it’s been pretty crap. As always though, there are things to be thankful for, and when Adam has been at home I’ve still managed to carve out some ‘me time’ and escape the house for an hour here and there whilst the children have been holed-up.
Here are 10 things that have made me happy this past week:
- Our NHS. Arlo was seen yesterday at children’s A&E, assessed and discharged all within in hour by an amazing nurse and doctor. I know wait times can be insane at times, but on this occasion the waiting room gods were shining down on us and thankfully all was okay.
- Family. My Mum and in-laws have been awesome this week, stepping in and helping look after us and the children at various times. Props and hugs to those who never have any help at all- I don’t know how you do it.
- Breakfast with my Mum. We have a new cafe near us that is beautifully decked out and serves amazing food to boot, plus one of the best flat whites I’ve had in a long time.
- Queer Eye – new favourite TV show!
- A swim and a sauna at the gym on Sunday morning. Seriously, any snippet of ‘me time’ like this really re-charges the old batteries.
- Doing Dry April- not an official month for no-boozing but after a ‘wet’ March I thought I could do with a re-set and some time off. After 10 days I feel a million times better already and am sleeping like a baby. Definite food for thought.
- Talking of sleep, despite illness Arlo has started to sleep through more consistently (think 7 out of 10 days) so I am praying this continues- it’s incredible how fab you feel without broken sleep.
- Work. I’ve actually really enjoyed my return to my day job and I have felt really motivated and productive- long may this continue!
- Making plans. In amongst all the doom and gloom of this week I’ve been plotting some fun adventures- a city break with some girl friends later this year, Adam and my 3rd wedding anniversary, festivals and days out. It always makes me feel so much better having things to look forward to.
- This video made me majorly LOL at work- a joke interview with a millenial (you’re welcome).
Am hoping that this coming week is better- onwards and upwards!