So, here we have it, the last of my trio of Halloween-inspired cupcakes, perfect for a party, or just ‘because’! These ‘Sinister Sea Monster’ cupcakes have been well received by both adults and little ones alike, and are surprisingly easy to make, even if you have never ventured into the world of ready-roll icing and molding before.
As per the other two recipes, The cupcake recipe is a basic vanilla one, and makes 12 cupcakes.
This is the one I always use:
You will need:
- 4 free range eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Grease and line a muffin/cupcake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl using (hopefully, for the sake of your wrists) a hand held electric whisk,
- Combine the eggs, flour, sugar, butter and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into the cupcake tin, and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove and cool.
For topping your cupcakes, you will need:
- Icing sugar
- Blue food colouring
- 1 pack of white, ready roll icing
- 2 packs of light green, ready roll icing
- Black, squeezy tube icing (can be found and bought in big supermarkets)
- A rolling pin
- Mix 4 tablespoons icing sugar with 1 tablespoon water, plus a few (and only a few!) drops of the blue food colouring until you have a thick-ish consistency i.e. it won’t easily run off the top of your cupcakes.
- Spread the icing onto each cupcake evenly.
- Open one pack of your green ready-roll icing, and roll our flat with a 1cm thickness all over. Then cut into strips of varying sizes, so that your sea monster has different length tentacles.
- Then, holding one end of your strip, twist it around 360 degrees a couple of times, and stick onto your cupcake, using the blue icing as an adhesive, as per the above picture. Make sure you leave a space for your monster’s eyeball.
- With your white icing, roll bit of it into small balls, so you have one ‘eyeball’ per cupcake. These should be approx 2cm in height.
- Using your black, squeezy icing, put a ‘dot’ to make a ‘pupil’ for your eyeballs.
- Stick the eyeball onto your cupcake, using the blue icing to hold it firm.
- And, ta-dah! You have your Sinister Sea Monster Cupcakes!