These Halloween graveyard cupcakes have always been a hit, and are again, very easy to make. As with my ‘Fangtastic Spider Cupcakes‘, the actual cupcake recipe is a basic vanilla one, and makes 12.
You will need:
- 4 free range eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Grease and line a muffin/cupcake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl using (hopefully, for the sake of your wrists) a hand held electric whisk,
- Combine the eggs, flour, sugar, butter and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into the cupcake tin, and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove and cool.
For topping your graveyard cupcakes, you will need:
- Icing sugar
- Green food colouring
- Bourbon biscuits
- White, squeezy tube icing (you should be able to buy from large supermarkets)
- Mix 4 tablespoons icing sugar with 1 tablespoon water, plus a few (and only a few!) drops of the food colouring until you have a thick-ish consistency i.e. it won’t easily run off the top of your cupcakes.
- Spread the icing onto each cupcake evenly.
- Carefully separate one side of a Bourbon biscuit from its filling (this can be tricky, as they’re prone to breaking!), and cut in half with a sharp knife to make the gravestone.
- With your white, squeezy icing, write ‘RIP’ on your half of the ‘gravestone’ biscuit.
- Place the ‘gravestone’ firmly into the green icing, leaving plenty of space in front of it.
- Crush some of the leftovers of your Bourbon biscuit with the back of a spoon, and sprinkle them in front of your gravestone to create a ‘just buried’ effect.
- Repeat with as many cupcakes as you wish!