I absolutely LOVE rhubarb, it’s easily one of my favourite fruits, especially to eat with custard *drool*. I’ve wanted a new rhubarb plant in our garden for a while, and my Mum was given an established one from an acquaintance (cheers, Colin!), along with some actual picked sticks of the good stuff. This roasted rhubarb is delicious with custard (dairy-free in our gaff), or can be added to a top-notch rhubarb and custard cake. Tis super-easy too.
You will need:
- 400g Rhubarb
- 50g caster sugar
- Shallow dish or baking tray, plus foil
- Heat oven to 200c.
- Wash the rhubarb and then shake off any excess water.
- Trim the ends of each stick, then cut into small pieces, about the length of a finger.
- Put the pieces in a baking tray or shallow dish and shake over the caster sugar so it’s well covered. Make sure the rhubarb is sitting in the dish in one layer.
- Cover with foil and roast for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, stir rhubarb with a wooden spoon, re-cover and roast for a further 5 minutes, until tender and syrupy.
Hooking up with Vicki’s Tasty Tuesdays!